My friend Sharee emailed me and asked, “What stores are you loving lately? I need to do some shopping and my goal is “how to look cute at the playground.” Aha moment! Yes, of course, because JUST because you are at the playground does not automatically qualify you to look a hot mess.
My “playground look” starts with my mama uniform of tee, jeans or shorts and funky accessories. It’s almost summer and its time to show some skin and legs (yes, ladies that means break out the razor or book that wax appointment.) It’s time to ditch the yoga pants and the saggy running shorts. I know we have to work out but that does not mean your workout gear is your all day gear. I get it, you want to be comfortable, but I promise, we have options. Now mamas, lets dive in.
1. The essential T-shirt is your foundation. I personally am obsessed with navy and white striped tees and I buy about 3 per season, long sleeve for fall and winter, short sleeve and tank for summer. I just love a stripe t-shirt. I pair them with jean jackets, white jeans and shorts, skirts and joggers. Graphic, striped or just plain white, start here for your playground chic and remix it with bold accessories.
Scoop up a few of these:
Women’s Short Sleeve V-Neck Tee – Target • $8.50
Women’s Striped Cap-Sleeved Tees • Old Navy • $14
FOREVER 21 Stripe V-Neck Tee • Forever 21 • $7.80
Three-quarter sleeve football tee in stripe • J.Crew • $39.99
LOVE 21 Chouchou Graphic Tee • LOVE21 • $14.90
Hello tee • J.Crew • $29.99 – Use code “WEEKEND” for 30% off, including sale styles
2. Patterned Shorts. Don’t be afraid to mix it up and go a little bold and colorful this summer. You don’t have to be a skinny minny to try this trend and you will feel so cute. Playful patterned shorts can take you from the play ground to brunch with the girls while making you look super cute and put together.
I have my eye on:
Factory 5″ Tie-Dye linen-Cotton Short • J.Crew Factory • $29.50
Petite Abstract Riviera Shorts with 3 1/2 Inch Inseam • LOFT • $49.50 – 40% off Everything, no code needed.
LOVE 21 Abstract Print Pleated Shorts • LOVE21 • $11.13
LOVE 21 Abstract Mosaic Drawstring Shorts • LOVE21 • $10.43
Printed summer shorts • Gap • $31.99 – Use code “SUMMER” for 40% off
3. Shift Dress. One essential that you must add to your summer wardrobe this year is a versatile shift dress. Dresses are essential for summer because you can pair them with flat sneaks for busy playground days, cute ballet flats for coffee meetings and errands and dress them up with wedge heels or mid-heels for date night.
OLIVE AND OAK Swish Your Direction Dress • $69.99
Jack by BB Dakota Are We There Yacht? Dress • BB Dakota • $59.99
Women’s Sleeveless Chambray Shift Dresses • Old Navy • $34
Women’s Striped Linen-Blend Shift Dresses • Old Navy • $30 – Up to 50% Memorial Day Sale
FOREVER 21 Life In Progress Wrap Belt Chambray Dress • Forever 21 • $24.90 – Memorial Day sale, take 30% select items.
4. Jean Shorts: I like the ease and comfort of a worn in pair of jean shorts with a little distressing and I also love a crisp, dark pair with a hint of whiskering to pair with a tee and a blazer on those days when I want to mix it up a bit and have to take meetings (in between playdates).
Some of my favs are: Denim Shorts in Galaxy Blue with 3 1/2 Inch Inseam • LOFT • $49.50
Plus Size Refuge “”Boyfriend”” Denim Shorts • Charlotte Russe • $27.99
Slouchy Destroyed Denim Boyfriend Shorts • Express • $35.94
Soho Jeans Boyfriend Short – Theatrical Blue Wash • New York & Co. • $39.95
Low Rise Midi Jean Short Frayed Hem – Mossimo • Mossimo • $19.99
* This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting the brands who support this blog!